Cinnamon-Apple Cake

During our first year of marriage, nearly 12 years ago, I regularly tried new recipes on My Husband. Honestly, that was a year of learning what I was capable of cooking and trying to improve on any failures. One of the best things I did that first year was begin reading cooking magazines and really following recipes closely.

One of the recipes that I remember making during that year, was the Cinnamon-Apple Cake that I mentioned last week when I wrote about the Dulce De Leche Apple Bars. This cake is so moist and that's due to the cream cheese that is in the batter. The top is sprinkled with a mixture of sugar and cinnamon right before baking and it helps to create a beautifully browned top that has a slight crunch to it.

apple cinnamin cake 1

This cake will stay moist for up to 3 or 4 days. It should be covered completely with aluminum foil to keep it from drying out. I think it tastes even better the second day after baking. With the abundance of apples right now, I do hope you give this simple cake a try soon! Don't you just want to take a bite right now?

apple cinnamin cake 2

If you have a ton of apples left to use, you may want to check out these fantastic apple desserts:

There is a unique twist on crust with Recipegirl's Apple-Cranberry Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crust.
Another twist on the apple cake can be found at Dinners for a Year and Beyond with her Apple Cinnamon Bundt Cake.
And, over at Peanut Butter and Julie, she shares a fun Apple Pie Bar recipe that will eliminate any pie crust issues you may have.




Cinnamon-Apple Cake
Source: Cooking Light - for a printable version of the recipe click HERE.

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
  • 1/2 cup stick margarine, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 ounces block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 cups chopped peeled Rome apple (about 2 large)
  • Cooking spray

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
  2. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
  3. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.

Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.
Bookmark and Share

Comments

Stacey said…
Yum! That looks wonderful.
Oh....this looks great! I love cake recipes that have cream cheese in it! Thanks for the recipe.
RecipeGirl said…
I actually do have a few apples left that I need to use up. Apple cake isn't something that I typically make, but this recipe looks delicious. And I love that it's from Cooking Light!
Andrea said…
Actually yes, I do want a bite right now! That's a great idea putting cream cheese in a cake. I've heard of sour cream in quick breads but I've never really thought about cream cheese. My boyfriend has been asking for an apple cake "like his mom used to make" I bet this one is even better!
Anonymous said…
Apple cake is my FAVORITE cake! YUM!
I would love to have abite with my coffee!
Lacey said…
this does look good. ive been wanting to try some apple recipes, i haven't done a whole lot with fresh apples. maybe i'll try this one :)
La Bella Cooks said…
I can almost smell how wonderful it is from here! This looks delicious and I can just imagine how moist from the sour cream. Very impressive.
That Girl said…
If I didn't have cupcakes in the oven right now I would definitely make this. Guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow.
Anonymous said…
Hey there.. hope you are doing well this week! I must say it sure does not look lite, but delish..looks fabulously yummy..
amycaseycooks said…
I don't think a cake would last 3 - 4 days around our house. Maybe it would make it to the 2nd day if I hid it. Thanks for another apple recipe. I will give this one a try.

thanks for the link!!
Jo said…
This looks great! There is something about the pairing of apples and cinnamon that's indescribable!
Anonymous said…
This looks so tasty! I love apple cake.
Jaime said…
i LOVE cinnamon and apple.. i'm going to have to try this one! :)

oh - and i got the sunflower seeds at trader joe's. but i also noted in my post that a few people have had luck finding them at specialty stores
Maris said…
I love apple cake! I made one a few weeks ago with fresh apples and it didn't last very long. I think I've gained 10 lbs since I started food blogging :o)
Prudy said…
I've made this one from CL and it is amazing!
Jenny said…
Yum Patsy,
This looks just perfect for Fall! I know my family would love it!
Susan @ SGCC said…
This looks like a fabulous cake! The cream cheese in the dough has sold me!
Anonymous said…
Where's the flour?
Patsyk said…
Thank you so much for mentioning the missing flour from the ingredients! I have updated the post to reflect the 1 1/2 cups flour that are needed. Have a great day!

Popular Posts