Dulce De Leche Apple Bars - Oh My!

A few days ago, while I was reading through the many blogs I enjoy I came across a recipe that had me drooling. Recipegirl made Dulce De Leche Apple Bars and her pictures were so enticing that I just had to make them!

Luckily we had picked some apples last week that needed to be made into something special. Usually, I make the Cooking Light Apple Cake which is always a hit. But, when dulce de leche is going to be involved... that eliminates any and all other choices for me. Something about that gooey goodness - oh yeah, a bit of heaven is waiting for us.

dulce de leche edit

Now, if we could have waited for them to cool properly in the refrigerator, my slices would have been a bit more perfect. We just couldn't wait to dig into these and oh, it was worth every bite! A huge hit not only with me and the kids... My Husband declared these a "definite make again" which is a huge compliment. It's not very often that he would gladly give up his favorite apple cake for something else. He even went back for more as soon as he inhaled the first piece. Oh yeah, these apple bars are THAT good!

dulce de leche 1 edit

Now, I did use a jar of prepared dulce de leche that I found at the grocery store, but it is relatively simple to make it yourself. You can check out just how simple it is over at The Hungry Housewife.

If you would like a printable version of the recipe click here.

If you've been apple picking and have a lot left to use, here are some ideas:

Homemade Chunky Applesauce has got to be so much better than what you buy at the store. Julie at Peanut Butter and Julie shows you how to make this special treat.
Check out the Upside Down Apple Cake that is over at Stephanie's Kitchen, it looks so moist and delicious that you won't possibly be able to resist it.
Jersey Girl Cooks made Healthy Apple Cinnamon Muffins that you can enjoy without the guilt.

Bookmark and Share

Comments

That Girl said…
I was drooling when I saw this on her blog also. It just looks so good!
Prudy said…
I seriously have been thinking of those bars since I saw them on Lori's blog. Now you're really heightening my craving!
Mary Bergfeld said…
I really should stop coming here! Your recipes are just too tempting. Get thee behind me.....
Anonymous said…
definitely an "oh my"! these look delicious.
Deborah said…
I've wanted to make those as well - now I NEED to!!
Jenny said…
Wow now that looks just scrumptious. I need a slice right now!
RecipeGirl said…
I'm so very glad your family liked these so much!! Aren't they just totally decadent? I want to make homemade dulce next time :)
Veronica said…
I have been wanting to make those Dulce de leche bars too! They look amazing.
La Bella Cooks said…
These are one of those decadent little desserts that keep me addicted. I am going to give these a try!
Maris said…
Sounds delicious! I really like the header for your blog :)
Jaime said…
i saw those and wanted to make them too!! mmmmmmm

if your hubby likes apple cake, you should try the apple cake w/caramel sauce in my blog too :)
Patsyk said…
Your comments all had me smiling! Yep, soon as I saw the recipe on Recipegirl's blog I just had to make them.. now, I've made you all crave them, too! :)

Popular Posts