Thanksgiving: Mom's Hot Rolls

Growing up, Thanksgiving was a holiday that My Parents hosted every year.  It was always a large feast of wonderful food that everyone contributed to each year.  We had family who drove from various parts of Missouri just to spend the day with us, which always made it a bit more special since we had everyone together.  One thing that most of us really couldn't wait to dig into was My Mom's Hot Rolls!

I haven't been able to be home to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family in more years than I care to think about, so this year when we decided to host it for our family in New Jersey I knew I wanted to incorporate the Hot Rolls my mom always makes.  My Mom can't remember where she first found the recipe, but she's been making them for as long as any of us can remember.  It's a rather simple recipe and for the "yeast challenged" this might be a good recipe to begin working with to get comfortable with it.  No kneading is required, just mix it together in your stand mixer. 
 
I did have to call My Mom to verify some of the recipe as the original recipe has the ingredients and the instructions for combining them, but it was missing rolling out the dough and whether the baking dish should be buttered.  I've updated the recipe (shown below) so that it has all the necessary information to make these fabulous rolls.
From Family, Friends and Food

The dough will rise for about 1 hour before rolling it out, then you can cut them with a round biscuit cutter and allow to rise until you are ready to bake.  Takes about 1 hour for them to double in size.  So, keep that in mind when rolling out the dough to an appropriate thickness. 
From Family, Friends and Food
Since this is a Family Recipe, I'm also sharing it with Shelby at The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch for the November 30th round-up!  If you have a treasured family recipe, you should think about sharing it as well!


Hot Rolls (a.k.a. Ice Box Rolls)
Source:  My Mom

Ingredients
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup Butter flavor Crisco (shortening)
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 packets yeast (or 4 1/2 teaspoons of yeast)
1/4 cup luke warm water (about 110 degrees)
6 cups unsifted flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions
Cream sugar and shortening together.  Add boiling water and when cool add the cold water.  Add eggs and yeast that has been dissolved in the 1/4 cup of warm water.  Then, gradually add flour and salt.  Allow to rise for 1 hour covered with a dish towel.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about a 1/2 inch thickness.  Using a round biscuit cutter (or any shape you prefer).  Place in a buttered baking dish (glass or metal is fine).  Allow to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.  Brush surface with melted butter (this helps them brown up nicely).

Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are nicely browned.  Be sure to keep an eye on them so as not to overbake them.


Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.
post signature



Bookmark and Share

Comments

Mary Bergfeld said…
These look wonderful, Patsy. I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.
Susan @ SGCC said…
Love these! They're easy to whip up and they look so delicious! I'm filing this one away.
LizNoVeggieGirl said…
Great recipe and Thanksgiving!
These look delicious, Patsy! So glad your family was there for Thanksgiving.I have a similar recipe from my MIL and it is a treasure too.
3LittleMonkeys said…
Can you use butter instead of Crisco?
Shelby said…
I thought I had left a comment! Patsy, thank you for submitting to this month's family recipes! This recipe is something I haven't seen before and I think I will try it out soon to have with some soup or stew!
Laura said…
Wonderful submission! And the sweet rolls are the big thing at my family gatherings, so I completely get it! :)
Patsyk said…
3Little Monkeys - sorry for the delay in answering your question... but, the consensus is that you really can't substitute butter for the shortening. It will change the texture of the rolls.

Popular Posts