Mexican Chicken Soft Tacos

Now that school is back in session and we are busy with activities several days a week, it's time to get my pressure cooker back out. I love how quick and easy it is to use, and highly recommend it to anyone who has a busy schedule. With just a little bit of prep work, you can get a healthy, homecooked dinner on the table in no time at all.

My family loves soft tacos, so when I found one of my bookmarked recipes, Mexican Chicken in Soft Tacos in my Pressure Cooking for Everyone book. Since I've had this marked for quite awhile, I'll be submitting this post to Pam at Sidewalk Shoes who is hosting the upcoming week's Bookmarked Recipes event. This is a great cookbook to get if you are new to pressure cooking. Each recipe is well-written and foolproof. This recipe is a mild enough to be kid-friendly, but the spice could be kicked up a notch if you are up for that.

chicken soft tacos

I served the chicken and vegetable mixture on whole wheat tortillas with an assortment of additions. I loved the addition of diced avocado mixed with the cheese, sour cream and salsa. It really complimented the chicken. This was a huge hit with my family, which was clear by the lack of leftovers I had when we finished dinner.

If you are looking for Mexican themed dinners for the family, check out these sites:

Jenny at Picky Palate has created another winner with her Ranchero Mexi-Chicken Crostada.
Prudence Pennywise shows us how to make Grilled Flank Steak Tacos for only $10!!!!
Tanya at Sunday Baker has found the key to making her son happy and his friend's when they come for dinner - a Taco Ring!

chicken soft tacos2


Mexican Chicken in Soft Tacos
Source: Pressure Cooking For Everyone

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick half moons
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (I subbed chicken breasts instead)


Directions

  1. In a 5 to 7-quart pressure cooker, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion through cumin. Cook, stirring often, until onion becomes softened. Stir in the water, add chicken seasoned with salt and pepper. Lock the lid in place and bring to high pressure of high heat. Adjust the heat to maintain the pressure. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
  2. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and quick-release the pressure. Open the lid, tilting it away from you to block any escaping steam. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Using a large knife, coarsely chop the chicken and add to serving bowl. Add the vegetables to the chicken and thoroughly mix together.

Comments

Melanie said…
Ok, talk to me about pressure cookers. I'm really intimidated to use one! What size pressure cooker do you have? By any chance, does it also do double-duty as a pressure canner? I'd love some tips because I've wanted to try both pressure cooking and pressure canning for a while but I don't even know where to start to buy a pressure cooker (what size, brand, etc.).
(melgunnell@hotmail.com)
Anonymous said…
I love chicken tacos! These look so fresh, colorful, and delicious!
Mary Bergfeld said…
Patsy,

These look really, really good! I don't have a pressure cooker, but both my daughters do and they swear by them.
Prudy said…
I've really got to get a pressure cooker since it's such a great way to save time, money and energy. That does it! I'm buying one. YOur chicken looks perfectly shredded and tender-just the way I love it for tacos. Thanks so much for including a link to my tacos.
Maria said…
Great looking tacos! Looks like a tasty dinner!
I have a pressure cooker, but don't use it often. I think I need the book you mentioned, so that I can start.

I'm definitely going to try the taco recipe.
Stacey said…
Those look so good!
That Girl said…
Yours photograph so much better than mine do!
Thistlemoon said…
I really need to do more tacos! These look great and they are a great quick meal!
LaDue & Crew said…
Thanks for the comment! Your blog is a great way to relax with a cup of coffee. I don't remember how I stumbled across, but yours was a great find! Let me know if you try the tomato basil cupcakes- even if you aren't too hip on them. I can always use outside opinion when trying to improve! Now, off to read more on yours so I can figure out what's for dinner!
Tanya said…
Thanks for the shout out! What a truly delicious looking post. Mmmmm
susan said…
love the colors! and sounds delish!
Jenny said…
Yum Patsy! I LOVE mexican dishes and these soft tacos sound incredible! Thanks for the link too!
Patsyk said…
Thanks for all of your comments! I'm a bit behind in responding these days!

I'll be happy to share PC info with anyone who asks! Melanie, I sent you an email.
pam said…
Thanks for this post! I am always looking for ways to use my pressure cooker, I don't use it often enough. Thanks for submitting it to Bookmarked Recipes.

Popular Posts