Eat. Live. Be. Reboot. (Feeling Good & Recipe for Roasted Carrots & Parsips)

Eat. Live. Be. Reboot. day is here again.  This week though is already a much different story than last week was... you know the one where I was so stuffy and miserable I couldn't get a single workout in last week.

 
This week, I am going to be celebrating each little success because I found this cute little reminder over on Pinterest!

 
Whether that success is getting up at 5:15 in the morning to do 40 minutes on the treadmill... or that I made it to the gym for a 2nd workout (for weights and strength) on my lunch break, or that I walked away from the candy machine... even though chocolate was REALLY calling my name, I am going to celebrate it and keep my positive momentum going!   And so, far this week I can say the workouts are happening (and I am really happy about that) and I'm working on resisting those sweet cravings.

  
One thing I am doing to try to resist the urge for something sweet in the evening is to make sure that dinner is satisfying.  I've been adding additional vegetables whenever possible.

 
I wanted to try making parsnips and decided that roasting them with carrots would be the way to go.  I found this recipe for them on an old New York Times Recipes for Health article and used that as my jumping off point.

 
Roasted-Carrots-and-Parsnips

 
Not knowing what to expect from the flavor of this new vegetable, I opted to only make about half as much as was suggested in the recipe.  If it didn't go over well with the family (or me), then I'd have to toss out food, and I really hate doing that.

 
Luckily, that was not necessary as 3 out of 4 of us enjoyed this quite alot!  The parsnips had a nice sweet flavor and the herbs I used were perfectly suited to both vegetables.  I'll be making this again as I am trying to find a variety of vegetables to rotate through each week to keep things interesting.

Parsnips will be making their way into my grocery cart more often as I try to find other ways of preparing them so that we can incorporate them into our weekly dinners.

Head on over to visit Cate, Sarah & Joanne to see what they are sharing this week with Eat. Live. Be. Reboot.  Everyone's inspiration/motivation is always so different, and yet I find that each post speaks to me and something I'm working on as well. 

Have you tried parsnips?  What is your favorite way to prepare them?  I'd love some ideas and recipes to try!

Roasted Carrots & Parsnips
Adapted from The New York Times

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
  • 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled corred and cut into 3-inch lengths
  • salt and freshly ground pepper - a sprinkling over everything
  • 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
  • 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
  2. Cover a rimmed baking sheet in aluminum foil and spread out the cut up vegetables and garlic in a single layer.
  3. Drizzle the olive oil over all of the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  4. Sprinkle the rosemary and thyme leaves randomly around the pan.
  5. Cover lossely with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.  Then, remove the foil and reduce heat to 375 degrees.  Continue baking or about 20-25 minutes - taking care to not let any smaller pieces become burnt.
  
Follow Me on Pinterest Bookmark and Share
Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.

Comments

Joanne said…
Parsnips were my vegetable discovery of last year...and I love them. Oh so much. I mixed them into hashes instead of potatoes and put them in burritos! Just saute with some chili powder and smoked paprika. THE BEST.

I'm so glad this week has been better!

Popular Posts