Holiday Cookies: Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwich Cookies

I've been a baking crazy lady lately!  I've got yet another cookie to share, and I'm so excited by it I'm also going to share it with Foodblogga's 3rd Annual Eat Christmas Cookies Event

Last weekend as I was pouring over my various cookie recipes and trying to narrow down the options as well as make sure I had a nice variety for my cookie gifts. I found Martha's Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwich Cookie recipe.  This one appealed to me because I didn't have any sandwich cookies or ginger flavored cookies on the list yet.  I thought this one would add a nice contrast to the other cookies I've already made.

From Family, Friends and Food

I really liked these cookies!  They are nice and crisp with the snap you expect from a gingersnap.  The raspberry preserves really compliment the gingersnap perfectly, just the right amount of sweetness.  They do spread a lot so make sure you allow plenty of space between each cookie when baking them. 

Be sure to head over to Foodblogga's on-going Eat Christmas Cookies Round-up (HERE) to get ideas on some fabulous holiday treats to share with friends and family!


Gingersnap-Raspberry Sandwich Cookies
Source:  Martha Stewart Holiday Cookies (special issue December 2001)

Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 large egg, beaten
1 cup raspberry jam

Directions
Position rack in center of oven, and preheat to 375 derees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.  Cream butter and shortening and 1 cup of sugar on medium speed.  In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and ginger.

Add maple syrup to butter mixture; beat to combine.  Beat in egg until well combined.  Reduce speed to low; slowly add the reserved flour mixture, a little at a time, until well blended.

Place remaining cup sugar in a bowl.  Measure 2 teaspoons dough; roll into a ball.  Roll dough in sugar, transfer to prepared baking sheet.  Repeat, spacing balls 3 inches apart.  Bake until golden, about 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.  Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.  Form and bake remaining dough.

Spread about 2 teaspoons jam over half of the cookies; place a second cookie on top of jam-covered ones, making sandwiches.  Serve.

Makes 2 dozen cookies.


Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.
post signature



Bookmark and Share

Comments

What a marvelous cookies with the right touch of sweetness and the raspberry flavor.
Really for these festive days :)

Cheers,

Gera
I'm in love with an adapted version of Martha's gingersnaps I made over the summer, but I'm smitten with your version with raspberry jam. Yum! Thanks a bunch, Patsy!
ChefDruck said…
I have a cookie exchange on Sunday and this recipe just may have inspired me to move beyond my Oreo balls to something different this year. I love the pairing of ginger with a berry!

And thanks for sharing the holiday cookie carnival link up... I'm off to check that out too!
Jaime said…
what a unique holiday cookie!
Deborah said…
I don't think I've seen a cookie with this flavor combination - it sounds delicious!
Anonymous said…
Yums Patsy.... I have not even finished for Christmas yet.... can you believe it.. I plan on celebrating until Mid January.. Jan and Feb feel like Christmas to me...

Popular Posts