Holiday Cookies: Chocolate Thumbprints from Martha Stewart

As of tonight, I am officially done baking cookies for the holidays!  I have to admit, I am quite relieved to be done as I feel as though I've been working on them for a long time now.  But, filling my gift tins will be so fun as I will have a nice variety of treats to share!

Over the weekend, I began making the Chocolate Thumbprints from Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook.  I've made so many wonderful recipes from this cookbook, that I knew this one would also turn out beautifully.  The cookie itself is simple in it's flavoring, but that works perfectly with the melted chocolate used to fill the middle of it.


From Family, Friends and Food
I think they turned out so cute!  Since I made mine more bite-size than is suggested in the recipe I could have cut the amount of melted chocolate in half since I had quite a bit left over. 

As I mentioned, I began making these cookies on Saturday, but didn't finish them until tonight.  The cookies will keep nicely in an airtight container until you are ready to fill them with the chocolate.  They maintained their slightly crisp exterior without any problems.

If you are still looking for some cookies to share, these would be a wonderful treat!  Just enough of a sweet without being too sugary - in spite of the 1 cup of powdered sugar in them. 

I've got two more holiday treats to share, so be sure to come on back tomorrow to see what else I have in store for the holidays!

Chocolate Thumbprints
Source:  Martha Stewart's Cookies cookbook

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) plus 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 teasoon salt
2 teaspoons pure vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons corn syrup

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together 2 sticks of butter, sugar, salt and vanilla on medium speed until smooth.  Beat in flour, begining on low speed, and increase speed as more is added.

Form 2 teaspoons of dough into balls and place about 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven and press thumb (I used the handle end of a wooden spoon) to make a deep, wide indentation in the cookie.  Place back in oven for another 7-9 minutes or until the edges are light brown.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Combine chocolate, the 6 tablespoons of butter and corn syrup in a double boiler (or a small heat-proof bowl set over a pot of simmering water), stir occasionally until melted and smooth.  Allow to cool slightly, then fill the thumbprints using a small spoon.  Allow to firm up before storing the cookies in single layers in an airtight container.


Please note that all photos and content belong to Patsy Kreitman, unless otherwise noted. If you want to use something please ask first.
post signature



Bookmark and Share

Comments

Great cookies. You can never have enough cookies.
Shelby said…
Patsy I love these! I am going to have to try this myself. I haven't made a cookie from this cookbook in a long while.
Robin said…
These are very cute cookies! I do like that chocolate filling in there. Have a great Christmas!
I love MS thumprints too and urs sure look cutey...
Jamie said…
Those cookies are cute. My girls would go nuts over that chocolate filling. I still have some cookie baking left to do. Maybe I can give these a try. I made Martha Stewart's Lime Meltaways and those turned out awesome. If you like lime and haven't tried them, you must make them one day.
Thistlemoon said…
They look so cute! Happy Holidays Patsy! :)
Unknown said…
I don't know how I never thought of chocolate thumbprints before. They look delicious!

Popular Posts