Caprese Cups (tomato, mozzarella & basil cups)

I am always looking for new ideas for side dishes and when I came across the recipe for Caprese Cups in Big Green Cookbook: Hundreds of Planet-Pleasing Recipes and Tips for a Luscious, Low-Carbon Lifestyle I just had to try it.

With the Jersey tomatoes ready to for picking I bought several at the farmer's market last weekend. I used some for the first batch of Gazpacho of the season. I couldn't resist using them as cups to hold some of my favorite ingredients.

From Family, Friends and Food

These little tomato cups are delicious. They are filled with diced fresh mozzarella, diced tomato, aged balsamic vinegar (I used my vinegar from O & Co.) and extra virgin olive oil. The little bit of crushed red pepper added just a slight kick to the overall flavor. Not too much, but enough to enhance the other flavors. These cups would be fabulous served as an appetizer to guests.

More great recipes using the season's best tomatoes:

Eating Out Loud: Caprese Salad with Olives

Stacey Snacks: Pearl Couscous with Roasted Tomatoes

Love & Olive Oil: Soft Tacos with Chicken and Tomato-Corn Salsa

For the Love of Cooking: Grilled Corn, Avocado and Tomato Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

Cup of Caprese
Source: Big Green Cookbook

Ingredients
4 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
8 oz. fresh organic or locally produced buffalo mozzarella, cubed
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
¼ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves


Directions
Slice ½ inch of the tops off the tomatoes. Dice the tomato tops and set aside.

Cut around the inside perimeter and scoop out the inside of each tomato to create cups. (Reserve scooped tomato portion for another purpose.) Pat dry the inside of the cups with a clean kitchen towel or an unbleached paper towel.

In a bowl, stir the mozzarella, diced tomato tops, oil, vinegar, salt and crushed red pepper. Set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.

Mound the mozzarella-tomato mixture into each tomato cup. Top with basil and serve.

post signature




Bookmark and Share

Comments

Great idea!I must go buy some tomatoes as the garden ones aren't ready yet.
LaDue & Crew said…
These are perfect for summer! How adorable, too!
Fallon said…
How easy is that, everyone gets their own cup of salad. I love it!
Kristin said…
This is my favorite summer treat, although I have never seen it served like this before. I can't wait to try this!!
Megan said…
These would be a great time to use those little pearl mozzarella balls. Very cute and tasty!
Ooh, these look delicious. I really like caprese salad, and this looks like a fun variation.
Leslie said…
what a great and tasty idea
~JarieLyn~ said…
My mouth is watering. I just have one question though. What do we do with the scooped out tomato? Do we mix it with the diced tops and mozarella?
This and your recent recipes all look wonderful! I've been on a slight commenting hiatus with my busy schedule lately... but it's great to catch up and see what's cooking in your kitchen!
Chef E said…
This would have been a fun alternative to my traditional one I made this weekend! I love it...
Cate O'Malley said…
They look so cute and perfect for the summer!
This is a great idea for a side dish- the tomatoes are perfect for this now!Yum! thanks Patsy!
Jen_from_NJ said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen_from_NJ said…
Really creative! I love NJ tomatoes! I'm glad that I've discovered your blog! Thank you!
Deborah said…
These are so beautiful!

Popular Posts