Ellie Krieger's Portobello Panini

I love finding ways to use my Cuisinart GR-4 Griddler for quick and easy weeknight meals. Last night was no different after another t-ball game. I frequently toss together cheese quesadillas for My Boys on nights like this. This time, however, I wanted something healthy and filling for myself.

I pulled out another favorite cookbook,The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life, for inspiration. When I saw the recipe for Portobello Panini with Gorgonzola and Sun-Dried Tomatoes I immediately knew this was going to be delicious! With the three main ingredients being some of my favorites, I could understand why Ellie mentions umami as a way to describe this panini.

From Family, Friends and Food
This panini was so filled with flavor! The gorgonzola melted into the sun-dried tomatoes and the combination made each of these ingredients even better than they would be on their own. I loved that the portobellos were used in place of bread and are such a meaty mushroom which made this a very filling meal for me. I will be making this again soon as busy weeknights are a part of our normal routine.

These amazing paninis are only 90 calories for each serving! Yes, ONLY 90 calories! Total fat is 7 grams and with 2 grams of fiber, those on WW should be calculating this out to be only a few points (I don't have my points calculator handy or I'd share the exact amount).

If you love portobello mushrooms as much as I do, you'll want to check out these blogs:

Annie's Eats decided to make a Bobby Flay recipe for Grilled Portobellos Stuffed with Sausage, Spinach and Mozzarella. My mouth was watering just reading the ingredients!

Over at Love and Olive Oil, you'll find not 1 but 2 fantastic recipes for portobello mushrooms!


Portobello Panini with Gorgonzola and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Source: Ellie Krieger's The Food You Crave

Ingredients

  • 4 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil packed)
  • boiling water
  • 4 portobello mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Directions

  1. Reconstitute the sun-dried tomatoes by soaking in boiling water for 10 minutes. Remove from water, pat dry with a paper towel, then chop.
  2. Slice the stems from the mushrooms so that they will lay flat. Slice each cap in half so you have 8 mushroom slices. Top half of the mushrooms with 1 tablespoon of chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of cheese. Top with the remaining mushroom slices. Brush the top side of each "sandwich" with some of the oil.
  3. Preheat a large non-stick skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat until very hot. Place the mushroom sandwiches in the hot pan, oiled side down and cook for about 2 minutes. Brush top half with oil and flip with a spatula and cook until mushroom softens and starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper.


post signature



Bookmark and Share

Comments

sangeeta said…
hey it looks so yum n easy to make......nice pics.
Shelby said…
I would guess about 2 points! Looks delish! Such a great idea to use the mushroom in place of bread!
Maria said…
I love mushrooms, this is my kind of meal!
This looks like a great meal, Patsy.It's a great combo of flavors!
Susan @ SGCC said…
I can't live without my Griddler! I use it all the time in during the summer months.

Love, love, love that panini! Just the thing I'd make for myself.
Cate O'Malley said…
Mmmm, love portobello mushrooms and gorgonzola - sounds delicious!
Debbie T said…
That really does look very yummy. I've only ever eaten portobello mushrooms in ravioli - and loved that. This looks terrific and like something my husband & I would enjoy!
Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh, you blew me away here... first I have to buy another cuisine art..sp? Gosh this looks rich and divine.

Popular Posts