Shrimp & Broccoli Fried Rice with Toasted Almonds

Since the start of the new year, I've been focusing on healthier recipes. So, when I received the January/February issue of Cooking Light I was excited to have even more recipes to choose from for my meal planning. Since Chinese New Year was on January 26th, the magazine is filled with recipes to help you celebrate the new year.

I decided to go for something simple, but filled with vegetables, Shrimp and Broccoli Fried Rice with Toasted Almonds (for the recipe, click HERE). As with any dish like this, you need to prep your ingredients ahead of time. It also helps if you remember to purchase everything on your list. Why? Well, I didn't realize until I was prepping my ingredients that I forgot to purchase fresh ginger. So, I had to skip that ingredient. I tasted the sauce after I added it to the skillet and decided to add a little less than a teaspoon of Chinese 5 Spice Powder to add a bit of flavor.

From Family, Friends and Food
I loved the bright colors of this dish and the simplicity of the process. As long as you are prepped and ready to go, it will be ready in under 20 minutes. I did make the rice the day before since I knew it needed to chill and I wouldn't want to bother waiting for it when I was trying to get dinner on the table.

Overall, this was enjoyed by everyone in my family. My Oldest has suddenly decided he doesn't like shrimp, so next time I will use sliced chicken breast instead of the shrimp. This is one of those recipes that lends itself well to variation. Use whatever vegetables are looking great when you go grocery shopping.

Here are some more healthy weeknight meal ideas:
You can still enjoy fried chicken while you are counting calories... IF you try the Oven Fried Chicken at Dinners for a Year and Beyond.
HoneyB made Grumpy some Sliders that were better than what you can by when you hit the fast food places... you could even use ground turkey and feel like you are treating yourself!
Head over to For the Love of Cooking, and you'll find a nice, light Tilapia with Lemon and Dill .
post signature


Bookmark and Share

Comments

Finla said…
Looks so yumm. Healthy and delicous.
LaDue & Crew said…
Yup, Feb 7th is the beginning of my diet, so thanks for this one! I have to remember to not only read my cooking light, but to USE the recipes. I don't know why I don't!
Chef E said…
This looks good, and I can almost imagine the taste from the photo!
Looks delicious and colorful!
That Girl said…
ooooohhhh I am definitely making fried rice this week! But maybe with chicken.
Stacey said…
Looks great! I'll have to try this, but like your oldest, I too will have chicken breast.
Anonymous said…
I like the healthy spot.... knowing me.. I throw mayo on everything... I swear.. here in Japan mayo is nearly TOPPED with everything..or maybe its just me..

Broccoli and Shrimp.. simple is understated..

Popular Posts