Matzo Buttercrunch

Matzo Buttercrunch-1


Now, what holiday would be complete without some sweets? And, in my book those sweets are always better when chocolate is involved. The Matzo Buttercrunch recipe was recently passed on by my dear friend, A.S. This recipe is so incredibly simple and is what I would call an OMG (Oh My Goodness) recipe... one you won't be able to resist.


As my ability to resist such wonderful sweets is not so great, I decided to share the goodies with our neighbors. I got a call a little while ago telling me that her kid's asked why she never makes this recipe. The reason she doesn't is because they are so hard to resist! Both of my boys told me that these were really yummy and to quote my Youngest: "These are totally yummy, Mommy!" You just have to love that kind of review!


You don't have to be Jewish or celebrating Passover to enjoy this sweet indulgence. So, do give them a try and they do make a nice treat to share with friends and neighbors.


MATZO BUTTERCRUNCH
Source: My friend, A.S. - originally, Marcy Goldman
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients
  • 4-6 unsalted matzos (preferably regular, but you can use egg)
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter or Passover margarine
  • 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate or chocolate chips
  • Toasted slivered almonds, for garnish (optional)

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stack 2 rimmed baking sheets together (this will insulate the buttercrunch so it won't burn in the oven). Line the top sheet with aluminum foil, then with a sheet of parchment paper.
  2. Arrange the matzos as evenly as possible in a single layer on the baking sheet, cutting the squares into pieces as needed to fill any gaps. Set aside.
  3. In a medium heavy saucepan, heat the butter or margarine and brown sugar, whisking to combine, and bring to a medium boil for 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour over the matzos. Pour as evenly as possible, but if you miss any spots, use a spatula to spread the butter-sugar mixture to cover all the matzos.
  4. Bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate over the top. Let stand for 5 minutes, then smear the top with a metal spatula to spread the chocolate evenly.
  5. Sprinkle on the slivered almonds, if using.
  6. Slide the entire baking sheet into the freezer and freeze until firm, 1 hour or less. Break the buttercrunch into pieces, squares or odd shapes, and serve.

Matzo Buttercrunch-2

Comments

Seriously, that just looks toooooo delicious!
Katy said…
i'm a non-jewish person who actually really likes matzoh -- i get very excited this time of year! they're like ungreasy crackers, i think -- yum! this looks delicious!
Anonymous said…
When I was in high school, my best friend's mom made a batch of this for Passover and the two of us ate the entire thing in one sitting! I was so sick afterwards! And the worst part is that I just can't face it anymore, even though I know how delicious it is! Yours looks especially yummy :)
amycaseycooks said…
I havw been seeing these everyway lately. Now it is my turn to try them!!
Melanie said…
I love quick and fabulous recipes like this! I saw your blog link on Stephanie's blog and am glad to have found another great food blog!
Anonymous said…
i was going to eat my box of matzoh with salted butter - my favorite! - but i think i can sacrifice half a box for this.
Anonymous said…
YUM! That looks amazing - you just brightened my Passover! I'm so glad I discovered your site through Tastespotting.
I agree--chocolate makes everything better.

I've tagged you for the six-word memoir, by the way. If you'd like to play along, the rules are posted on my blog. :)
nicole said…
Oh yeah these look so tasty.
test it comm said…
That looks good with its light and flaky bottom and chocolate covered top.
Anonymous said…
How delightful this looks. I need to make some for my hubby.
Anonymous said…
Can I please have a bite of that delicious looking Matzo Butter crunch!
Unknown said…
it looks deliciously crispy!
Patsyk said…
Wow! I guess the matzo buttercrunch really "spoke" to everyone! Thank you all for commenting, I always enjoy reading the reactions, so keep those comments coming!
Aggie said…
Oh this looks so tasty!! I would love to be crunching on some right now!...mmmm
Maria said…
I want to crunch! This looks so sweet and so good!
Shelby said…
anything with chocolate and toffee has to be yummy!

Popular Posts