Asian Supper Club - Steamed Pork Dumplings

We recently got together for Supper Club and the theme this time was Asian. I adore appetizers, and could truly make a meal out of them. I had a plan to make Crab Rangoon (I'll post about those tomorrow), and Baked Egg Rolls. Well, while we were shopping at Costco, we came across a new cookbook, Wok & Stir-Fry Fabulous Fast Food with Asian Flavors. This cookbook was an easy choice for us because it has pictures of each and every recipe and even step-by-step instructions. Needless to say, after a quick look through the book, the Pork Dumplings immediately replaced the Baked Egg Rolls.

We went straight over to the Asian market that was nearby in order to purchase the ingredients and a few other necessary items... like a bamboo steamer. This has to be one of those coolest kitchen tools that I've gotten recently (and I've picked up several new things recently due to My Husband encouraging my blogging!).

My Husband helped with pinching the dumplings so that they made these cute little purse-like dumplings. The dumplings steamed up beautifully, and were so cool to serve in the steamer. The dipping sauce had a bit of a spicy kick to it, the men loved it. It was a bit too spicy for me, but a little soy sauce evened it out. The dumplings didn't last more than 5-6 minutes, so I'd say they were a hit. I didn't have time to make the whole amount before supper club, so I used the filling I had left to make up the remaining dumplings on Sunday for dinner. My boys devoured them!

Stay tuned for more recipes from this cookbook. We may be eating more Asian food over the next few weeks.

Steamed Dumplings-3


Steamed Pork Dumplings 
Source: Adapted from Wok & Stir-Fry, Fabulous Fast Food with Asian Flavors 
Makes about 80-90 dumplings 

Ingredients 
round wonton wrappers 

For the filling: 
1 pound bok choy leaves or white cabbage (I used bok chou) 
1 pound lean ground pork 
1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped 
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped 
2 teaspoons salt (I used about 1 1/2 teaspoons) 
1 teaspoon light brown sugar 
2 tablespoons light soy sauce (I used low-sodium soy sauce) 
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry 
2 teaspoons sesame oil 

For the dipping sauce: 
2 tablespoons red chili oil 
1 tablespoon light soy sauce (used low-sodium soy sauce) 
1 teaspoon garlic, finely chopped 
1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped 

Directions 
Blanch the bok choy until softened. Drain and finely chop, there may still be a small amount of liquid still in the leaves and that's ok. 
Mix the bok choy with remaining ingredients (pork through sesame oil). Place about 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wonton wrapper. 
Dip finger tip in water and run around the edge of the wrapper, then fold in half and seal. Then, pinch into a fan-fold to make little dumpling "purses" which will tightly seal the dumpling. Repeat until all dumplings are made. 
 Line each level of the bamboo steamer with Napa cabbage or some other type of lettuce to keep the dumplings from sticking to it. Bring water to a boil in a wok, then place bamboo steamer filled with first batch of dumplings over the top. Allow to steam for about 10 minutes. Check to see if the dumplings are firm, and if they are you can remove and set aside. Repeat until all dumplings have been steamed. 
Serve with sauce. 
 Dumplings can be frozen prior to cooking. Do not thaw before steaming.

Comments

test it comm said…
Those steamed dumplings look good. Nice crimping. I normally do my dumplings as potstickers. I will have to try steaming one of these days.
RecipeGirl said…
I've seen people talk about those bamboo steamer baskets, but I've never thought to get one myself. Since you seem pretty excited about it, I think I'll be checking it out!!

Your hubby did a nice job with the dumplings!
Jenny said…
This looks so cool, I love the look of those dumplings. Yum!

Popular Posts